installed by electricians such as lighting and heating systems,
motors and such are installed in parallel. This is because the
supplied voltage remains constant and is NOT divided up over the
loads. Your home is connected in parallel with your neighbors home!
Switches are installed in series so that they open and de-energize a
In digital electronics transistor switches are connected in series
and in parallel to create the fundamental logic gates AND and OR.
- one path of
- REMOVE 1 LOAD - current flow stops in
- voltage drops across each resistor
= V1 + V2
- I T
= I1 = I2 =
- RT =
R1 + R2 + R3 ..........
- many paths of current flow
- REMOVE a load - current continues to flow in
- voltage the same across each load